Friday 15 October 2010

The waiting game: 2 weeks done Blog 7 27/10/09

Gracie has now been in SCBU for two weeks.  It feels like so much longer.  She’s being well looked after, but I still can’t believe she could be in for another 8 weeks.  She’s had visitors (including the grandmas), and everyone has commented on how gorgeous she is.

She had a bit of a setback on Friday – she was put on a ventilator, and she had a suspected infection in her tummy.  She had to be taken off my milk, but obviously, I have to keep expressing.  Our freezer is now absolutely filled with breast milk.  It’s only a small freezer, and we’ve had to eat all our frozen food to make more space (carrots with every meal anyone???).  I’ve also got some in the freezer at the hospital.  She’s back on tiny amounts, but she was being sick, so they may suspend it again.

Thankfully she’s now on the mend, and these little setbacks are common, but it’s still hard.  I’d really like her home, but I know she’s not ready.  And more to the point, neither are we!!  We’ve got so little ready for her arrival.  I’ve selected a Moses basket and a baby carrier though, so we’re getting there slowly.  We’ve received some clothes as presents, and we don’t want to go mad on those because we don’t know what size she’ll be by the time we get to dress her….

We can’t cuddle her at the moment because she’s still too poorly, but we can hold her hand – and change her nappy!!  Not that easy with all the wires and stuff – and she’s a wriggler, which doesn’t help.  Her dad has refused to change her nappy until there are fewer wires in the way!!!  It’s good to see her wriggling about though – on Friday she was sedated, and it was difficult to see.

Waiting is difficult, but I have to remember that I’m not the first person to go through this, not will I be the last.  2 weeks down, 8 to go – that’s 20% completed.  It’s a marathon, not a sprint, but we’ll get there.  Every day is one step closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment