Friday 15 October 2010

Back in the journal-writing saddle Blog 11 1/2/10

So, 16 weeks in and still loving motherhood.  Even though there’s so much I didn’t know before I began.  I’ve definitely learned that health professionals don’t know it all, and that books are only a guide and are frequently useless.

It’s been a while since my last journal. It’s not because I haven’t had anything to write, more that I’ve had too much.  Where to start documenting what’s been going on since Gracie’s been home?

Gracie’s corrected age is 6 weeks.  She’s doing well, following objects with her eyes, feeding lots, smiling, and expecting lots of cuddles.  She’s demanding, but very, very cute.

She doesn’t like sleeping in her crib – in fact, she’s not very good at sleeping alone full stop.  The sling that I bought gets used a fair bit round the house – it’s the only way I can get anything done.  It’s a bit tricky when bending down and things, but we manage.

We all know that our lives will change when we have a child, but we can never guess how much.  I never knew I could survive on uninterrupted sleep, and yet, I’m getting more than I thought I would.  I imagined she’d be an angel and fall into a routine immediately, but I was wrong there.  Patterns are emerging though, so a routine will come when she’s ready.

I can’t imagine life without her, it’s like she’s always been here.

We’ve been getting out and about – Baby Communication sessions, Baby Yoga, First Parent Group.  There’s quite a lot out there, but you have to be proactive to find it.  My local pub is baby-friendly during the day, so there’s somewhere I can take friends for lunch when they visit.

Visitors – wow.  My husband and I have had more visitors in the last 3 months than we’ve ever had in the whole 3 years we’ve lived in our current flat.  It’s amazing what babies do to people.  The grandmas would travel anywhere to spend just a few moments with her.  And the presents!!!  The best piece of advice I was given when I was pregnant was “don’t buy anything until you’re absolutely sure you need it”.  This turned out to be fantastic advice, because so much has been bought for us.  We’ve barely bought any clothes for Gracie, and we’re not going to need to for ages.  It’s also good advice because there’s a lot of stuff out there that we really don’t need.

Today is Monday – weigh-in day.  Gracie was 8lb 2oz last week, so hopefully she’s still gaining.  She looks bigger, most definitely.  I find it weird that some babies are born at Gracie’s weight.  I can’t imagine her being inside me at this size!!

Well, this entry is just to get back into the habit.  I’ll be writing again soon.  Now is time to get her in the sling before I need to feed her again…!

No comments:

Post a Comment