Friday 15 October 2010

She's home! Blog 9 9/12/09

Well! After nearly 6 weeks, Gracie came home from SCBU.  That was just over 2 weeks ago, and I’m really happy.

It’s been a while since I’ve written a journal, but I’m determined to get back into the habit.  My husband’s back at work and I’m left to fend for myself.

But first, a quick update on what’s been happening:
Gracie was progressing well in SCBU, and before I knew it (well, not quite!), the doctors decided that it was time for the feeding tube to come out.  As the tube came out, I breastfed on demand – what an adventure that was!.  Gracie was on 65ml every 4 hours through the tube, then had to switch to me.  Miraculously, she didn’t starve, and although it was tough going, after two nights in SCBU with her, I was allowed to take her home.

That was 2 and a half weeks ago.  Since then, we’ve been settling her in at home.  She refuses to sleep in her crib, so, contrary to many books, she’s in with us.  She sleeps on my chest, which works for us all.  We put her in her cot for short periods to get her used to it, and at the moment she still hates it.  She’s getting used to her bouncer though, so that’s a start.

There are a few things she doesn’t like at the moment.  She doesn’t like it if she’s not being cuddled, and she HATES having her nappy changed – she screams the house down.  I’ve been assured by other mothers that this will pass.  I hope so!!  In fact, any kind of disturbance when she’s comfortable doesn’t go down well….
She’s also incredibly impatient.  Once she’s hungry, she expects to be fed at that very second – we’re gradually teaching her that she can wait a little bit!

Every day is a mini adventure, but that’s motherhood I guess.  She’s putting on weight (she’s now 5lb 7oz), but, as a preemie, it’s hard to know at what rate she should be developing.  I’m surprised at how little developmental guidance there is around for premature babies.  Once she’s past her due date, I can use her correctional age as a guide, but before that, what to do?  She 8 weeks old, but not actually due to be born for another 2 weeks, so what should she be doing?  I’m not one for getting hung up on things like this, but I sometimes feel that it would be nice to know.

We have our postnatal check today.  I’m sure it’ll be fine, but I’m really not used to all the visits involved when you have a child.  I’m lucky enough to never really need the doctor – I’ve been to my GP about 3 times in the last 10 years – so having to go to all these appointments is incredibly alien to me.

Anyway, this journal is basically a catch-up, and I’ll go back to trying to write more regularly again.  But basically, Gracie is home and doing well….

No comments:

Post a Comment