Friday 15 October 2010

Milestones Blog 13

Well, more than 5 months in, and some milestones have been reached over the past few weeks.

Bath:  Gracie now enjoys a bath.  Well, when I say “enjoy”, what I actually mean is that she doesn’t scream the place down any more.  I think I maybe had the water too cold before.  And if she’s already in a bad mood, not even a warm bath will calm her down.  The discovery came when she’d down a spectacularly messy poo one morning, and my husband was unsure where to start in the cleanup operation.  I decided to run a bath, and put her in it, regardless of the screams that were inevitably going to accompany the task.  To my surprise, she accepted the bath without comment, and looked faintly bewildered by it all.  Since then, we’ve had a few more, just to check that it wasn’t a one-off….

The cot:  OK, so she still won’t sleep in her cot, but she will entertain herself in it, which is progress.  I’ve bought some accessories – a light show projector type thing that shows Winnie the Pooh pictures on the ceiling, and a rainforest mobile, which she is fascinated by.  It has bought me time throughout the day, which is great.  It makes soothing rainforest noises, which she seems to like.  There are musical options too, but I’ve ignores those so far.  And, the mobile comes with a remote control!!

She’s much more aware of what’s going on now, and she knows exactly when to turn on the charm with people!  She’ll be all smiles when required, it’s very cute…It’s crazy to think that just 5 months ago, she was in an incubator.

The fact that she was premature means that you can’t use the normal timeline for development.  Obviously she’s not quite at the right stage for her actual age, but she’s slightly ahead of her corrected age.  It’s actually quite nice to not have to worry about it, and just enjoy watching her progress.  She’s becoming more and more independent by the day.

When I’m out and about, and I see people with toddlers, I try and imagine Gracie in a few years’ time.  I try and picture us going to the park, or to the shops, but it seems like such a long way off, even though I know it isn’t.  It seems like she’ll be a baby forever…

No comments:

Post a Comment