Friday 15 October 2010

I'm glad he's tking an interest but...Blog 4 27/9/09

We all want the perfect pregnancy – ideal birth, model baby, well-informed and attentive partner.

Pregnancy can be difficult for partners.  I’ve been lucky enough to have a fairly straightforward pregnancy.  I didn’t have morning sickness, and I haven’t really gained any weight either – from the back I look pretty much unchanged.  I think that sometimes things like this can make it difficult for partners to remember that we’re not necessarily ourselves….

My Dear Husband, although supportive, has been quite passive so far throughout my pregnancy.  This is fine – he turns up at scans as required, and pretends to listen to me whilst I bang on about something completely trivial that’s bothering me.  Sometimes, ignorance is bliss – if he doesn’t know too much, he won’t feel the need to question everything.  However, things have now taken a more, er…..”interactive” turn.

It all seemed to coincide with my friend lending me a book that she found useful in her pregnancy: “the Bloke’s Guide to Pregnancy”.  I left it out for DH thinking he may find it useful, and understand a little bit more about what I was going through.  Much as I’m pleased that he seems to have a better grasp of everything, he does seem to have turned into Miriam Stoppard….

I’ve not really had any cravings, but I have become slightly partial to Muller Light yoghurt.  Probably my body craving calcium I hear you say, no big deal.  Oh no.  It’s a calcium deficiency of epic proportions – the only solution is to drink milkshakes at every opportunity, and have Horlicks every night!

If I make plans to do things, he is now constantly asking me whether I should really be doing them, as I should be resting – this is the same man who thinks that I’ll never develop the nesting instinct because I’m too lazy….!

If I suggest something that he finds odd, or doesn’t agree with, it’s obviously down to my mood swings, and pregnancy is affecting my brain.  According to “the book”, this is what happens to pregnant women.  As is heartburn – like I didn’t already know!

There is an upside of course – DH can be grateful that I’m not eating chalk or bricks or anything….

No comments:

Post a Comment