Tuesday 18 June 2013

XL

As I get older, birthdays generally become less significant. But this week, I turn 40. I'm actually quite excited to be 40, it sounds ever so grown up! I'm not the sort of woman who frets over her age - to be honest, if I were that bothered, I could tell people I was 35...I could easily get away with it - but it is fascinating to think that I have lived pretty much half of my life. Already!

Clearly, the greatest change in my life has been having a daughter. I can now no longer guarantee being on time for anything, and I am never surprised if someone politely points out that I appear to have an Angelina Ballerina sticker on my jacket.
I worried that parenthood might make me neurotic, all that worrying about a little person who completely and totally depends on you. But not so. Is it because of my age? Is it because she had a difficult start, arriving 10 weeks early? Or is because I know I will spend the rest of my natural life worrying about her, so why start now? Who knows, but I'm pretty sure I've been like this throughout my thirties.

For me, I was truly comfortable with who I am once I got to my thirties. And I'm really looking forward to many more decades of doing what works for me and ignoring people around me if I don't value them.
And that's another thing - value. I really think I've learnt about the value of things these past 10 years: of friendship; of time; of sleep; of a half decent bottle of wine...

The older you get, birthdays aren't just about looking forward, they're also about looking back. So here, in celebration of entering my forties, and in no particular order, is what I got up to in my thirties. Obviously, the list isn't comprehensive, but I feel it is representative...

1. Bought a flat
2. Got married
3. Had a baby
4. Wore false eyelashes for the first time
5. Went to a friend's wedding. Their second one
6. Got made redundant
7. Appeared on a quiz show. On the telly
8. Ran a half-marathon

I also learned a few things; mainly, that very few situations are not made better by the addition of one, some or all of the following: gin, pink wine, fizzy wine, tea, red lipstick.
But the biggest lesson I've learned? No matter how many times someone says you look great for 40, it NEVER gets old.

No comments:

Post a Comment