Friday 15 October 2010

Nice to have some postnatal interests... Blog 12 23/2/10

My local cinema does Parent & Baby screenings, so I went along today.  Wow.  It’s so cool to be able to go to the cinema, with baby, and not have to worry about whether she’s going to start crying and disturb people or not.  As it turns out, she was very well behaved, and hardly cried at all.  The house lights are kept on so that you can see what you’re doing should baby need changing or anything, it’s great.
It used to be every fortnight, but they’re thinking of turning it into a weekly event.  It was “The Lovely Bones” today, or “Valentine’s Day”.  I chose “Lovely Bones”.

I’m starting to have a schedule now, doing various activities with Gracie, and I’m loving it.  Now is a good time to start some hobbies I think, and there’s a knitting group near me on a Tuesday afternoon.  Yes, I’ve started knitting, encouraged by mums from my First Parent Group.  We went on an excursion to Romford (!) to buy wool and needles.  I haven’t knitted since I was about 10, I followed instructions on how to cast on, and miraculously remembered how to knit.  I don’t remember how to purl, I’ll teach myself that another day.  I’m going to start by just knitting some squares and see how I get on.  I think my first square is already looking wonky….My plan is to sew some squares together and make a hat.

I’d also like to start baking, but my husband rightly pointed out that, if I have time to bake, I should probably use the time more effectively to do something else.  As it turns out, there are loads of reasons why I can’t do any baking.  For a start, I have no baking tins.  Not one.  Nor do I have the ingredients, although I could of course buy some….

The main obstacle to my starting to bake is the fact that Gracie still needs a lot of attention and needs contact quite a lot of the time still.  I put her in the sling sometimes, but it’s kind of difficult to bend down or cook with it on.  And it’s tricky to sit down.  Even now, as I type, she’s asleep on my chest.  She looks so cute.  I also know that, as she gets older and becomes more independent, she won’t want to do this anymore, so even though it can be inconvenient at times, I’m making the most of these months.

Well, that’s it for now.  Madam needs changing and feeding…..

No comments:

Post a Comment